One Room Challenge: Week 4

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who stopped by the last few weeks and commented! Your words of encouragement are so thoughtful and motivating.  This is my first time participating in anything like this in the blogosphere and I am amazed at how supportive everyone is–what a great experience!

In case you haven’t heard, I am participating in the One Room Challenge hosted by Linda at Calling it Home.  Please click here to check out the other 83 very talented and hard-working participants.   If you want to see my progress over the last three weeks click week 1, week 2 and week 3.

We’re in week 4–two weeks to go from the final reveal!

I’ve started to look for small decor pieces.  I particularly like the chicken wire baskets that you can find almost anywhere now.  These are a few I found at Walmart.

IMG_2581 IMG_2582 IMG_2583

I like the first picture (although I would spray paint them black) but they come in three and I’m not sure I need three chicken wire baskets.

Originally I thought about getting the all white floating shelf from IKEA, but now I’m rethinking this and wondering whether the I should go with the silver one.  Hmmm…any thoughts?

This will meet my shelving needs (believe me I don’t need much more in our laundry room).

I also found this decorate flower pot from the Superstore that looks just like the IKEA Skurar one, but for a fraction of the cost.  Who would have thought that you can find something cheaper than IKEA?!

IMG_4265

Lastly, I used an old skid plank we had and mounted three hooks to it.  I plan to use this to hang the ironing board from.

IMG_3790 IMG_3794 IMG_3795 IMG_4267

The hooks and the plank haven’t been installed onto the wall yet, but please come back next week and check out my progress.  And don’t forget to check out what the other participants have going on over at Calling it Home

 

One Room Challenge: Week 3

Well it’s week 3 of the One Room Challenge and we got a lot done! See week 1 and week 2 here.  We are exhausted, but it was well worth it.

Here’s what we got done:

– put up dry wall and painted it with primer
– painted the entire room genesis white (contrary to its name it is not actually white but a subtle grey– very pretty!)
– put up wallpaper
– installed baseboards and casing
– painted baseboards and casing
– installed knobs on folding door and a door stop (the small details make all the difference!)
– hooked up our sink, washer and dryer (yay for clean clothes!)

The door, casing and baseboards are all painted.


I have to admit though that I’m most excited about our feature wall! It’s just what I wanted– a metallic looking wallpaper.

It was our first time applying wallpaper and neither of us knew what to do.  The instructions it came with were’t all that clear and youtube videos all seemed outdated, so we kind of winged it. But in the end I have to say it was pretty easy and it only took us about 30-40 mins.
I don’t have any pictures of us installing it because we weren’t sure if we were doing correctly, but if you are thinking of applying wallpaper try the pre-pasted rolls from Bouclair and I’d recommend getting the tray kit.

The room is functional, but it is nowhere near being done.  I have yet to install shelves, compete a couple of DIY projects, get some storage, a countertop and organize the heck out of it all.

Stay tuned to see more next week and don’t forget to check out the other ORC participants’ projects here.  They are amazing!

Thanks for visiting!

 

 

 

 

One Room Challenge: Week 2

This past week has been physically taxing! A week ago, I linked up with One Room Challenge to make over one room in my house over a six week period and document the progress.

I was so excited to tackle our laundry room and get it completed, but before I could get to the fun part (shopping for paint, shelves, and other decor to put some life into this space) we had to put up drywall, tape the seams, apply compound, sand the seams, apply compound, sand the seams…and once everything was smooth paint the entire space with two coats of primer.

With the help of my dad we got a lot done this past week.

1.)  We moved the washer and dryer out of the space (its Thursday and our appliances are still in the foyer)

  

2.)  We put up drywall and started to tape, apply compound and sand.  We did this about three times to make sure all the seams and corners were just perfect (or near perfect).  This was my least favourite job!

  

3.)  Next, we painted the entire space with two coats of primer (the picture shows just one coat of primer).

4.)  Since we opted for the less expensive folding door that came in an ugly green/khaki colour I decided to paint it pure white with trim paint.  It’s a good thing the paint dried fairly quickly so I was able to do about three coats in one night.

  

5.)  Finally, we got to paint the entire space with our chosen colour from Benjamin Moore.  Last week I mentioned that I was going for a fresh feel and look –perhaps a pale sky blue or sea foam green.  After careful consideration we decided to go with Genesis White.  When we opened the can of paint I was confused.  I thought they gave us pure white, but when we tried it on the wall you could see a tinge of grey.  In fact, it looks like a very pale/baby blue grey.  I love it! It has a very spa-like and calming feel to it.

Stay tuned to see more next week and don’t forget to check out the other participants’ projects!

{to view week 1 click here}